Friday, October 30, 2009

Asian Invasion


In a recent episode of Glee, Jane Lynch's character, Sue, the ruthless cheerleader coach who takes over the Glee club (temporarily), called out Glee members that she wanted to be on her team.

Sue: Alright, everybody! Listen up! When you hear your name called, cross over to my side of this black shiny thing.

Will (the actual Glee club coach): That's called a piano, Sue.

Sue: Wheels

Artie the handicapped boy, wheels over to Sue's side.

Sue: Gay Kid

Kurt, the homosexual boy, gives Sue a frosty glance.

Sue: Come on, move it! Asian

Tina and Mike, the Asian kids, glance at each other

Sue: Other Asian

They both head over

Uh, did she mean you or me?

When I watched that scene, I nearly toppled over with laughter. And then I pumped my fist in the air. Yes! Sue mentioned "Asian!" There are Asians on one of the hottest shows on TV! Victory! So not only is the superb Jenna Ushkowitz playing Tina Chang on the show, there's also the adorable Harry Shum Jr. as Mike Chang.

I got the pleasure of chatting with the two talented young stars for Audrey and KoreAm. Read their articles here and here.

Both characters' story lines have not been developed as much as some of the other Glee club members have but Watch With Kristin has spoiler alerted that the next episode will feature "some supercute romantic scenes betwee Artie and Tina" so I can't wait for Tina to do something other than stutter horribly.

Too bad Glee won't be back until November 11. Until then, I will only have Ugly Betty, How I Met Your Mother, catch up episodes of Mad Men, and Grey's Anatomy (I heard it was good again?) to keep me company. Oh - that and the Glee soundtrack on repeat in my car. I think I'll survive.

3 comments:

Joyce Huang said...

Grey's is getting better!

Watch Brothers and Sisters on Sunday nights at 10. It's kind of going through a lull, but watch last season... I really liked it!

justwangit said...

dudee this guy is major eye candy! i'm putting harry shum -- i mean, glee on my to do list after OATs are over. two fingers up for asians on mainstream television! ("._.)Y

Jessica Jann said...

yes yes yes yes yes =) very good. you got the soundtrack? i'll be borrowing that from you shortly!